In my never ending effort to fill all of my waking (and some sleeping) hours with new and exciting projects, I decided to try installing vufind so we could evaluate it against our catalog. Roy Tennant describes it in a Library Journal article:
I have an instance running at:
I did very little customization to the home screen, just a slightly modified logo and added a few links to other search options. I loaded all of the bib records from Millennium (as of two days ago) that are not suppressed (@1.3 million). The call number, location and circ status are harvested in real time. You will note that this seems to work for some, but others simply say loading. The book cover images, reviews, and comments are being loaded from Amazon. A search of “bioethics” shows several records with book cover images and reviews from Amazon. It would be possible, however, to add info from Google, Syndetics, etc.
A few days ago I harvested OAI records describing the University of Toronoto digitized collection from the Internet Archive. At some point in the near future I’ll convert them to MARC and load them in as well.
This is vufind version 0.82. Obviously it is still in development, though Villanova and a few other libraries have gone live with it:
I’ve still been playing with Scriblio, the WordPress Blog plugin being developed by Casey Bisson up at Plymouth State in New Hampshire. It seems slow in comparison to Scriblio, particularly with a large collection. I may continue to work with it on small collections, but it has a way to go before I would put it in production for the entire BU catalog. You can see it at: