What to Wear?

October 10, 2011 Ingrid Adamow 2 Comments

My closet’s bulging with clothes, and yet, every morning I rise to my alarm and the question: “What to wear?” Boston’s screwed up weather patterns are no help. Walking to class here at BU is like a front row seat at a fashion show. This morning I saw a tights-skirt-sweater combo to die for, and I just sighed in pleasure, “Ahhhh, I chose the right school.” There’s no dearth of style on our campus. Fall is high time for prime street style sightings, what with everyone’s wardrobes renewed for back-to-school. But if you’re feeling particularly lazy and want to be a shut-in, there are ways you can still get a healthy dose of inspiration from your nice cozy dorm. Maybe it’ll motivate you to get your ass out those sweats.

1) Chictopia.com
This site is a look book of personal style pictures, self-photographed by chic site members. It’s comparable to a cross-section of the internet’s personal style blogs, collapsed onto one page with infinite scrolling. If you join the site you can “favorite” outfits that tickle your fancy and amass a collection of inspirational pictures.
2) Thesartorialist.com
The cream of the crop in street style blogs. Founder Scott Schuman sews together the worlds of fashion and daily life with every last shot of a chic Parisian or well-groomed New Yorker. When you scroll through photos of a fashion show, there’s always that initial reaction, like, “And how the hell would anyone wear that in everyday life?!” Then you head over to the Sartorialist and have that “aha!” moment. “That’s how!” Side note: I’m not sure if Schuman’s headed into Boston anytime soon, but perhaps daydreams of your superbly styled self gracing his homepage will be inspiration enough.
3) Streetpeeper.com
Another multi-city street style blog. This one’s categorized by major cities (but no Boston representation?!) and “elsewhere.”
4) The lesser known fashion and lifestyles gems of the blogosphere – for example:
- Wecouldgrowuptogether.blogspot.com
- Thatkindofwoman.tumblr.com
- Fashionbitsandbobs.com
- Ninagarcia.tumblr.com

Author: Ingrid Adamow
Ingrid is a sophomore in COM studying advertising. She hails from small town Connecticut. Ingrid loves writing above all else, but also has a penchant for all things cute (Hello Kitty especially).

, , Creative Outlet, Random Rants and Existential Crises, Uncategorized

2 Comments → “What to Wear?”

1. Alexandra 2 years ago   Reply

thank you! this was great! also, one website I really like that also helps is http://www.collegefashion.net/

2. Mary 2 years ago   Reply

Great post, Ingrid! I am a big fan of Thesartorialist.com and often see women at BU who are as interesting and inventive as the women featured there.