Shamelessly Girly

June 17, 2011 Ingrid Adamow 3 Comments

“You’re considered superficial and silly if you are interested in fashion, but I think you can be substantial and still be interested in frivolity.” – Sofia Coppola

In the sixth and seventh grade, I watched Nickolodeon’s Sunday night programming and rummaged through my closet, coordinating a week’s worth of potential outfits inspired by the likes of Emma Roberts’ character in Unfabulous and Jamie Lynn Spears’ in Zoey 101. (Thank God, my style matured as I did.) In high school, I began gathering magazines and catalogs from around the house and clipping images of women in stylish ensembles and red-carpet dresses. I especially coveted an edition of Lucky in which I was sure to find lots of pictures of clothes not on bodies – this way I could arrange the pieces on paper and create my own outfits. Creating these little fashion collages became my favorite pastime. I indulged in escapes into the glossy pages of a polka-dotted, bohemian-printed dream world. It’s a hobby I still haven’t given up. Even my most recent journal is scotch tape-plastered with images of January Jones’ recent asymmetrical hair look, Blake Lively donned in sparkles at a Chanel party, and a black and white portrait of my namesake Ingrid Bergman snipped from pages of Vogue and the like.

Girls like me who spend “too much” time scouting out a good sale or rouging their lips in accordance with Allure’s suggestions are often called “girly girls,” in a way, as a criticism. In a culture which pushes for equality and a distinction between sex (biological) and gender (socialized; ie. our societal idea of femininity), “girly girl”-ism is sometimes frowned upon. I entirely agree with Coppola’s affiliation between fashion and frivolity, and I whole-heartedly appreciate her assertion that substantial people can still enjoy fashion. It’s a sweeping generalization, and the majority of people aren’t judgmental enough to deem all fashion-lovers dumb or insubstantial. That being said, I’ve been victim to the occasional rolled eye when I try to bring up something sartorially-related in conversation with people who think themselves too intellectual to talk about what they assume is just fabric and thread (what do they know?!?).  When the world’s as chaotic as it is, at least I can mix-match a floral with a stripe, or paint my nails fire-engine red just because. I’ll admit it: I’m a girly girl, so sue me. The next time anybody’s got something to say about it I’ll be quoting my good friend (I wish) Sofia.

Author: Ingrid Adamow
Ingrid is a sophomore in COM studying advertising. She hails from small town Connecticut. Ingrid loves writing above all else, but also has a penchant for all things cute (Hello Kitty especially).

, , , Random Rants and Existential Crises

3 Comments → “Shamelessly Girly”

1. UK Classifieds 3 years ago   Reply

I love your blog, fantastic article, many thanks!

2. David 2 years ago   Reply

Loved your blog the way of fashion sense is being discussed.

3. Justin 2 years ago   Reply

Great expression throughout your blog and love the fashion angle